No one came here to read my whining, but indulge me for a second, won’t you?
Now, I’ve never been a fan of August. It’s usually the hottest, grossest month of the year (except for that one glorious summer I spent in San Francisco) and something always seems to go wrong in my life (like being broken up with on the anniversary of my previous break up… I mean, really, I can’t make this stuff up.)
This year, right out of the gates, August announced it would not be diverting from its usual tradition of being the absolute worst. Not only has it been hotter than the devil’s lower intestine, but every celestial body in the sky seemed to be in retrograde at some point… and sometimes seemingly all at once. During all that, I also had to fork over a ton of money for a new apartment, deal with a family health scare, handle personal health drama of my own, pack up four years worth of accumulated crap into a mountain of cardboard boxes, and move not only myself but also my boyfriend, who is at the moment, about 10,353 miles away (no really, he’s in Australia and I Googled it.) If that still doesn’t convince you, how ’bout this: I had to leave a Jay-Z and Beyonce concert before it even started because of a personal emergency involving my angry, vengeful , inconsiderate uterus.
It’s been a lot, you guys. There have been tears and lots of internal screaming and at least one slammed door in the night. Still, as you should already know, especially if you follow me on Instagram (which if you don’t, you should) I’ve been doing plenty of eating. I just haven’t really paused— at least in the last two weeks— to think about writing about it.
So, all of that whining is really just an incredibly long-winded way of saying I still need some time to get myself together, gather my thoughts and write again (about food, I mean) so in the meantime, here’s other people’s writing and thoughts on what’s going on in and around the food world. (Cause whatever’s ever going on in my life, I’m always eating and reading.)
- I’ve always been a David Chang fan, and because of his great Netflix show, Ugly Delicious, and his oh so entertaining podcast, The Dave Chang Show, I’m now an even bigger fan, which is why I obviously loved this piece from the NYT.
- Insects are pretty much the only thing I won’t eat, won’t even try a little bite of, but now I’m adding these terrifying face pies to the list too. Nope nope nope.
- Real talk: I miss my boyfriend (who’s in the land down under sorting out a new visa) so I’m considering hitting up some of these NY Aussie cafes in the meantime and pretending I’m traveling with him. (Might also have to listen to Men at Work…)
- Oh man, this piece about government cheese really brought back a lot of memories of growing up broke with unstable parents, and the comfort of food in the midst of that. (Side note, Taste’s features are always so so good.)
- Wow, so coffee enemas are a thing now? That’s gonna be a hard NO from me, but it’s still an interesting read. (And shout out to the Costa Rican blend! Ha!)
Get well soon…